First off, I want to wish everyone a very happy new year! Hope 2010 brings you only the best and hope your new year is filled with joy, good health and prosperity. I'm looking forward to the new year but not my birthday. I'm also working on a new design for the little kitchen which I hope you'll like.
Tacos! No more orange taco meat (from a packet)! I found a great recipe for a homemade taco seasoning mix on allrecipes.com. This is a pretty easy and tasty recipe that my husband enjoys. We don't miss the seasoning packets anymore, well sometimes my husband does but I tell him I'm not going to make orange taco meat.
This is the taco seasoning mix.
It's not orange! This is ground beef after taco seasoning, diced tomatoes and taco sauce have been added and it has cooked down a little bit. My husband likes it a little crispy so I'll sometimes cook it even a little longer. I usually add the green and jalapeno peppers if I have them, this time I didn't so they weren't included.
Serve with tortilla chips and your favorite Spanish rice.
Beef Tacos Recipe
- 1 taco seasoning mix recipe
- 1 to 1 1/4 pound ground chuck beef
- 1/2 cup tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup onions diced
- 1/4 cup green peppers diced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp jalapenos diced (optional)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp medium taco sauce
- shredded lettuce diced tomatoes, diced onions, sliced olives, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, etc.
- hard or soft taco shells
- Mix together ingredients for taco seasoning mix and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium to medium hight heat in a dutch oven or large sauce pan.
- Add ground beef, onions, green peppers and jalapenos to pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brown until ground beef is completely cooked and onions, etc are soft.
- Drain the cooked beef but don't drain all the way. Drain to your preference (you don't want to drain it completely because you're going to continue to cook the beef in the seasoning), since it is ground chuck and has more fat than other ground beef.
- Add taco seasoning mix, 1/2 cup diced tomatoes and taco sauce. Simmer for 4-5 minutes or until most of the sauce has cooked down as desired.
- Turn beef to warm heat setting and cover while preparing hard taco shells in the oven or heating up soft taco shells.
- Prepare tacos with beef and toppings & condiments as desired. Serve immediately.