I love simple recipes. And even more I love simple recipes that are comforting that are not too heavy. This past weekend, we ate sooooo much good food. I hung with a dear friend, Sandy who just happened to be in town, and we celebrated my sister's birthday which was actually last month. Sunday night rolled around and we just wanted something light for dinner. I said what about soup and salad? Curtis answered back, I like Progresso soup so can you make something similar to one of their soups?
I love vegetables soups with potatoes so I answered back with this…turned out great and I proceeded to eat soup and salad for lunch for the next two days. I wish I still had some left!
By the way, I'm making a stir fry recipe live on a Google+ hangout tomorrow, you can catch it even if you're not on Google+. The video will appear here at 5PM EST tomorrow (Thursday). But if you can't catch it, I will be sharing the healthy stir fry recipe here on the blog as well at the video. Eeeeekkk I'm so serious when I say I'm really nervous!
Zucchini and Potato Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 medium sized potatoes, I used Russets, diced (about 2 1/2 to 3 cups)
- 2 zucchinis, quartered and then chopped (about 2 cups)
- 14- ounce can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 2 15 oz cans of low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- salt & pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add onions and zucchini, cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Then add potatoes and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes (lower heat if needed), be sure to stir constantly so the potatoes don't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add tomatoes (undrained) and a dash of parsley and the thyme. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer. Add corn and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste and allow to simmer for 15 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked to your liking.
- Serve garnished with parsley.