Three Cheese Mac & Cheese Recipe (made with almond milk!)
So I started seeing a new primary care doctor recently and she thinks I’m lactose intolerant to a certain degree. I’m honestly not surprised about this revelation because like 90% of Asians are lactose intolerant. My older sister actually developed an intolerance to lactose in her 30s as well. I’m not going to bother getting tested, I researched that, I don’t want to spend hours at the doctor’s office.
Anyways, she kind of freaked me out when she said you should probably stay away from mac & cheese. I gave her a face. But I love mac & cheese. And then, I got a little bit clever…when it came time to bounce around ideas for my continued partnership with Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almondmilk, I thought why not make a mac & cheese recipe with almond milk…it can be done, right? I have been trying my hand at baking with and cooking with almond milk so this was exciting for me to try.
It took a couple of tries and tweaks to get it right but I can yes, it can be done! It’s so creamy and cheesy, I love it!
We’re big fans of buying blocks of cheese and grating it when we need it. I chose swiss gruyere, parmesan and sharp cheddar for my three cheese macaroni and cheese.
Melt the butter and add the salt and spices.
Then, add flour and create a roux. You want to cook it so the flour gets cooked.
Then, slowly whisk in the Almond Breeze almondmilk, for this recipe, I used the original flavor. Then mix in the cheese.
There you go!
Add the macaroni pasta and mix really well.
And you have cheesy goodness. Enough said. I’m so happy about this…you don’t even know! I know some of you are going to ask but I don’t really have a problem with most cheeses like cheddars because they don’t have a lot of lactose or they are lactose free.
And PS, even Curtis is excited about this recipe! I’m out of town and he texted me a picture of his dinner plate complete with leftover mac & cheese on that plate! Yay!
Yield: serves 6 to 8 as a side dish
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Three Cheese Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- a dash of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 cups Almond Breeze Almondmilk Original
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated swiss gruyere cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water with salt added to a boil. Cook pasta according to directions on the package.
- While the water is boiling, melt butter in another pot on medium heat. Add ground mustard, salt, pepper and ground nutmeg and mix in flour. Constantly stir and mix the flour mixture in the pot for about 3 to 4 minutes, creating a roux and cooking the flour.
- Slowly whisk in Almond Breeze Almondmilk, mixing it into the flour mixture carefully. Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, while whisking the mixture. Add cheese and mix, turn the heat off. Add the drained pasta to the pot with the cheese sauce. Mix together to coat the pasta and serve immediately.
Notes: You can store the leftovers in the refrigerator but when you microwave it, it’s not the same consistency as when you first make it and eat it out of the pot. You can also bake it in a baking dish. Curtis loved baking the leftovers in the oven.
from The Little Kitchen
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almondmilk. I only work with brands that I love and always share with you my own and honest opinions.