Chocolate covered Rice Krispie Treats are a huge upgrade from just regular ol' Rice Krispie treats. Even though they are homemade, they are easy to make! I made them into Mickey Mouse rice krispie treats to make them super fun!
There are affiliate links in this post.
Raise your hands if you LOVE rice krispie treats like I do. From childhood, I have always loved these marshmallowy, ooey gooey rice crispy treats. And like I said, making them at home is super easy!
Thankfully, I just received a review copy of Cookies and Cups Cookbook by my friend Shelly in the mail! It's a great cookbook and has tips to make the best gooey marshmallow krispies treats! (Side note: be sure to make these coconut-lime squares from Shelly's cookbook!)
Also, you can use whatever cookie cutters you want, I used a Mickey Mouse cookie cutter to make them Mickey Mouse rice krispie treats! They are so fun!
Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
- unsalted butter
- mini marshmallows
- Rice Krispies cereal
- nonstick cooking spray
How to store chocolate covered rice krispie treats
I store chocolate covered rice krispie treats in sealed container and separate the different treats with parchment or wax paper. You can store them in a container on your kitchen counter for 4 to 6 days or you can even freeze them in your freezer for a few months!
How to make chocolate covered rice krispie treats
Making rice krispie treats is actually pretty simple! I show you the step by step below along with photos!
First melt butter in a dutch oven (I love this one) and then melt 8 cups of the marshmallows.
Once melted…they look like this…wonderful blob of marshmallows.
Add the cereal and mix together.
Add the remaining 2 cups of marshmallows and mix a little bit.
I love seeing some of the marshmallows in the treats like this…
Pour the mass of of rice krispies treats into a parchment lined 9×13 pan.
I sprayed my hands with nonstick cooking spray and use them to slowly and carefully (because the mixture is warm) press down the cereal into an even layer.
There we are!
Let the treats cool for 5 to 10 minutes and then, cut out shapes with your favorite cookie cutter (I used this Mickey Mouse cookie cutter). First, spray the cookie cutter with nonstick spray (you might have to do this a couple of times while you're cutting out the shapes.)
Press it all the way down, until it reaches the bottom of the pan.
Then pick up the cookie cutter…
And carefully, remove the the cut out shape…
Easy so it remains its shape.
Isn't it so cute??
I kept saying awww how cute!!!
While the treats were cooling (before I cut the shapes out), we prepped the chocolate, melt 2 cups dark chocolate melting wafers and 6 ounces white candy melts in separate bowls.
Dip the treats in the chocolate and use whatever sprinkles you like!
I love love love these!! Homemade rice krispie treats are the BEST! And so easy to make!
And even better to make them into Mickey Mouse rice krispie treats!
Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 14- ounce bag mini marshmallows, divided (about 10 cups)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- nonstick cooking spray
- cookie cutter in your favorite shape, I used a Mickey Mouse one
- 2 cups dark chocolate melting wafers
- 6 ounces white candy melts or white chocolate, or your favorite color candy melts
- sprinkles, optional
- Line a 9x13 pan with two sheets of parchment paper.
- In a dutch oven, melt butter on medium heat. Add 8 cups of mini marshmallows, you want to stir constantly, until melted.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, add the cereal. Mix with a rubber spatula, carefully to crush all of the cereal, until all of the cereal is coated in marshmallow.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of marshmallows and mix a little bit. (I like having some of the marshmallows not completely mixed in and you can see the marshmallows in the treats.)
- Pour the mixture into the parchment-lined pan. I spray my hands with the nonstick cooking spray (this works better if you can have someone else spray your hands but it's not impossible to do yourself) and use my hands to press down the cereal mixture so there's an even layer.
- While the treats are cooling (just about 10 minutes), start melting 2 cups of dark chocolate melting wafers and half the bag of white candy melts in the microwave in separate microwave-safe bowls using the instructions given on each bag.
- Spray your cookie cutter with nonstick cooking spray (you'll probably need to do this a couple of times while cutting out the shapes) and press into the rice krispies treats until you reach the bottom of the pan with the cut. Lift the cookie cutter and carefully remove the treat from the cutter. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and repeat. I was able to cut out 16 Mickeys.
- Dip each cut out shape into the chocolate or white chocolate, just about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of the way down. Lift the shape out of the chocolate and shake a little bit to remove the excess. Place back on the cookie sheet and allow the chocolate to set for a few seconds. Add sprinkles or drizzle with white or dark chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate to completely set before placing in a little favor bag with washi tape or serve on a try for your next party or baby shower!
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.