One Pot Penne Pasta with Tomato & Basil
I have seen so many one pot pasta dishes online and on pinterest and I have been wanting to try them forever. Especially, Martha Stewart’s recipe for one pot linguine pasta with tomato & basil! I have made it with linguine and also of course made it withe penne pasta.
I’m a huge fan of quick and easy meals. I’m constantly trying to find new ideas for easy dinners instead of the same old, same old. I do struggle with what to have for dinner All. the. Time. Curtis would be happy with a rotation of the same 5 meals every week…but me, I need variety. In comes this dish…
I have made it with and without the crushed red pepper (Curtis loves every kind of pepper seasonings except crushed red pepper) and it’s good with or without. So if you have kids and are afraid of the heat, you can leave it out!
Seriously, just throwing everything in one pan or pot is genius and I love the concept…will be adding more things white wine, other veggies like asparagus and even mushrooms to future one pot meals. 🙂
Last year, the editors of Martha Stewart Living published One Pot: 120+ Easy Meals from Your Skillet, Slow Cooker, Stockpot, and More and I was happy to sent a copy by the publisher.
It has 120 recipes, recipes you can make in your Dutch oven, slow cooker, pressure cooker, cast iron skillet and more.
There are so many recipes I want to try from it including: Baked Risotto (mindblowing!), Salmon with Kale, Short Ribs with Potato-Carrot Mash made in a pressure cooker (I LOVE mashed potatoes with carrots!) and Skillet Chocolate-Chip Cookie (yes they have one pot dessert recipes too)!
And this pasta recipe, choose whatever pasta, throw the ingredients into the pan and in less than 10 minutes, you have dinner all cooked…love it. Curtis loved it too!
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
You won’t believe it till you try it: Cook linguine in water with tomato, basil, and garlic thrown right in the same pot. Let the water boil away, and you have pasta in a delectable sauce.
Penne with Tomato & Basil Recipe
- 12 ounces linguine or penne
- 12 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 sprigs basil, plus torn leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4½ cups water
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
- In a large sauté pan, combine pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, red-pepper flakes, basil, oil, 2 teaspoons salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and the water; bring to a boil over high heat. Cook pasta, stirring frequently with tongs, until al dente and water has nearly evaporated, about 9 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with torn basil. Serve with oil and cheese.
Reprinted from One Pot: 120+ Easy Meals from Your Skillet, Slow Cooker, Stockpot, and More. Copyright © 2014 by Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Penguin Random House, LLC.
// Disclosure: This cookbook was sent to be for the purpose of review by the publisher. All opinions are my own and I only share with you what I love. There are affiliate links in this post. //