I have a confession to make, I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin. I feel like I'm the only one on the planet that feels this way. But honestly, I'm opening up more and more to it because I recently had pumpkin ravioli at a restaurant and fell in love. I'm going to try my hand at creating that recipe ASAP! As for these donuts…there is no pumpkin in them!
But they do use McCormick® pumpkin pie spice! I love spice cakes so these are pretty much like them but in a mini donut version instead.
I love these mini donut pans that I bought a couple of years ago. Spray them with baking spray before you get started.
After cutting the butter into the flour mixture, add the wet ingredients.
It will be lumpy but it will smell so good!
It's a little messy getting this batter into the mini donut pan.
And there they are. Very simple to make and full of flavor. I love the glaze…the contrast of vanilla extract and brown butter! I need to find other stuff to put this glaze on!
Mini Buttermilk Pumpkin Pie Spice Donuts with Brown Butter Vanilla Glaze Recipe
- baking spray
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
Brown Butter Vanilla Glaze
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, browned
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup milk
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray mini donut pan with nonstick baking spray. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice and mix together with a whisk. Add butter and using a fork or pastry cutter, cut butter into the flour mixture until there are pea sizes of butter mixed in with the flour. Add sugar and mix with a rubber spatula. Add buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract and carefully blend with rubber spatula. Batter may be lumpy.
- Spoon about 1 Tablespoon of batter into each opening and spread using a spoon or your fingers. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cover a baking rack with parchment paper and flip donut pans onto the baking racks.
Brown Butter Vanilla Glaze
- While the donuts are baking, make the glaze. Mix glaze ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl with a fork or rubber spatula until smooth. Dip donuts in glaze while they are still warm and serve immediately.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. I love working with McCormick and I'm a huge fan of the brand. All opinions are always my own. There's an affiliate link in this post.
Can you suggest another way to make these without a doughnut pan?
Would a mini muffin pan work at all?
Julie Deily says
HI Joy, I haven’t tried that but I’ll bet they would work great in a mini muffin pan. If you try it, let me know how it goes. Thanks!
Gave this recipe a try, I do not recommend.
Donuts were too dry. (baked to minimum time)
Glaze was too watery. (needs way less milk)
Julie Deily says
I’m sorry this recipe didn’t turn out the same for you. That’s a disappointment for sure. Please feel free to email me if you would like to troubleshoot. Thanks for your feedback and hope you have a nice day!
What do you think? Could I make this bundt cake sized?
Pumpkin Pie Spice will make anyone’s kitchen smell ah-mazing! These donuts would even appeal to my youngest who is not really a pumpkin fan either!
I have a grand daughter that would just go crazy with this and of course my husband, but where can I find the donut pans and what is the size of them, because I have seen the donut pans but they are for bib donuts.
My husband was just saying the other day that pumpkin donuts sounded good. Now to see them here seems like some sign from the heavens. I. Must. Make. These. Soon!!
Hey pumpkin haters, there is no pumpkin in this recipe. The blend of spices is just called pumpkin spice. Ugh. I hate uninformed comments.
Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles says
These look & sound absolutely amazing, Julie!
Kailley @ Kailley's Kitchen says
I’m not a huge pumpkin fan either– these are the perfect way to reconcile that while hitting a seasonal note with the pumpkin pie spice!
[email protected] says
Just too cute!! I need that pan! Loving the flavors!
Jen @ Fresh from the... says
Those look so cute! I’ve been seeing so many baked donut recipes lately, I may have to get myself an actual donut pan thingy to try them out myself!
Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
Adorable donuts, I love the glaze!
These are so pretty! I like pumpkin, but I am not crazy about baking with it! However, I can totally get exited about these. So festive!
Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell says
Oh Julie, I’ve missed you and your blog and your wonderful creations! These look positively delectable and I’m going to check out that spice. I had no idea they had it!
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor says
Love donuts! And I love how you added the pumpkin pie spice.
Joanne @ Fifteen Spatulas says
GASP! These look amazing. Wowowowow. Putting these on my to-make list.
Ruthy @ Omeletta says
I’ve never been super down with pumpkin either, but a pumpkin spiced donut is definitely something I can get behind!
Katrina @ WVS says
Mmm what a treat!
Carla | Carla's Confections says
GASP! Dont like pumpkin?! That’s ok, I can still be your friend 😉 These mini donuts are so adorable though! I would probably eat the whole batch in one sitting!
I’m so with you on the pumpkin thing but I can definitely get on board with these donuts especially with that dreamy glaze.
Tashween Ali says
Confession—I thought pumpkin is a little overrated too, (It’s great, but come on there are other autumn flavors too, right?—I wish pear got more spotlight!) HOWEVER, these doughnuts look SUPER enticing. I may have to go for another pumpkin treat soon enough! Thanks for the recipe!