For this recipe, once again I'm participating with Land O'Lakes on their Kitchen Conversations panel along with Ree, Maria, Brenda and Sommer! For this Kitchen Conversation, it's all about back to school and quick and easy dinner ideas for those rushed nights when you need to get dinner on the table quick.
As most of you know, I don’t have kids and I work from home, but I still struggle to make dinner sometimes because our days are so busy. For this topic, I wanted to make something that was not only quick and easy, but also full of flavor and something you’ll love. This lemon and thyme chicken dish is just that! Whether you are going back to school or just have those crazy weeknights, a basic chicken dish with fresh flavors is a good recipe to have on hand.
This recipe uses a Half Stick of Land O Lakes® Salted Butter. I love these little half sticks because they’re so convenient. I have fewer of those little packets of folded, wadded up pieces of butter in my fridge because of them!
First, start the water boiling for the noodles. Then I start the breading for the chicken. I mix lemon zest, thyme leaves (I used fresh thyme), garlic, salt and pepper first. Then the breadcrumbs.
I picked chicken breast cutlets because they are so good and they also cook faster than a full chicken breast.
I use forks and spoons or use one hand for the wet and one hand for the dry…so you don't your hands all clumped up with wet breading. I call that claw hands! 🙂
In a non-stick skillet, melt 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Land O Lakes® Salted Butter.
Add half of the chicken cutlets and cook for 4–5 minutes on each side. Then finish up with more butter and the rest of the chicken.
Once the noodles are done, add butter, thyme and lemon to flavor them. I love buttered noodles, don't you?
This sauce is so easy. In the same pan in which you cooked the chicken, add 1 tablespoon of Land O Lakes® Salted Butter and melt. Then add flour and allow them to cook. Add some thyme — I love the sizzle the thyme makes!
Then add chicken broth and white wine and cook for a few minutes. You can add a little bit of lemon juice after it’s all done.
Serve sauce over the egg noodles and chicken. I highly recommend serving with a side salad or your favorite vegetable for a delicious dinner!
After you print the recipe, be sure to hop on over to enter in this giveaway provided by Land O'Lakes!
Curtis loved this dish. I told him we can do some rice next time if he wanted. He said nope, I LOVE the buttered noodles with this dish. 🙂 Curtis approved. There's lemon in this dish but it's not too overpowering. It's the perfect hint of lemon, along with the fresh herbs and butter…we will be making this dish for a long time! Hope you enjoy it if you try it.
Lemon & Thyme Chicken with Buttered Egg Noodles Recipe
- 2 lemons zested and juiced (for use in recipe below)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cutlets
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves)
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Salted Butter divided
- 1 tablespoon Land O Lakes® Salted Butter
- 1 teaspoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- fresh thyme leaves from two sprigs of fresh thyme or a sprinkle of dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Egg noodles with butter thyme and lemon juice to taste
- Salad for serving
Lemon & Thyme Chicken
- Bring water to a boil for the egg noodles and add noodles when water is boiling. Prepare according to instructions on the package.
- While waiting for the water to boil, prep the chicken. Beat two eggs in a shallow dish and add 1 teaspoon of the freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix. In another shallow dish, mix lemon zest, garlic, thyme leaves, salt and pepper. Then add breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly. Add chicken to the the dish with eggs and coat. Using a different hand, add chicken to the dish with the breadcrumbs and coat thoroughly. Place chicken on a plate and repeat until all chicken is coated.
- In a nonstick pan, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Salted Butter on medium heat. Add half of the chicken cutlets and cook on each side for 3–5 minutes (timing depends on thickness). Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat and cook the rest of the chicken with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoon of Land O Lakes® Salted Butter.
- Once chicken is done, in the same nonstick pan, add 1 tablespoon Land O Lakes® Salted Butter and allow the butter to melt. Add flour and mix with a wooden spoon and cook for about 1–2 minutes. Add fresh thyme leaves; it will sizzle. Mix and cook for about 30–60 seconds. Add chicken broth and white wine; it may bubble up a little bit (turn down the heat if needed). Allow the alcohol to cook off and the sauce to thicken, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Serve sauce over egg noodles if you'd like. Flavor the noodles with Land O Lakes® Salted Butter, thyme, pepper and lemon juice. Serve with a side salad or your favorite vegetable. The leftover chicken is great on top of a salad!
Disclosure: I've partnered with Land O’Lakes for an exclusive endorsement of
Land O Lakes® Butter for their Kitchen Conversation blogger program. This blog post is sponsored by Land O’Lakes.