This Instant Pot Tortellini Soup is jam packed with flavor. I've seasoned this soup up with lots of spices, fresh herbs, and cheese. It's good, and good for you!
Beef Tortellini Soup includes lots of fresh veggies like onions, garlic, carrots, spinach, and tomatoes. It's perfect for this time of year when we are all trying to stay happy and healthy!
There are affiliate links in this post. I get commissions for purchases made through these types of links in this post. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The weather is cooler, at least in some parts of the country (I'm looking at you, Florida). It's finally soup weather! It's been snowing in some places for weeks now, which is mind blowing to me! And with everything going on, we all need some comfort food. I love making soup in my instant pot!
Making this instant pot tortellini soup is like combining a couple of comfort foods together. This recipe combines beef stew and cheesy tortellini pasta all together to make the ultimate comfort food — soup!
Can I Make This Instant Pot Beef Tortellini Soup With Frozen Beef?
Yes, you can make this instant pot beef tortellini soup with frozen beef. Ideally, the stew meat was already chopped up before it was frozen. But you can just cook it in one whole piece, chop it later, and add it back the soup.
You will want to add a few extra minutes to the Instant Pot cook time if the meat was frozen.
How Long Will Tortellini Soup Last?
This easy tortellini soup will last about 4-5 days in the refrigerator, and 3-4 months in the freezer.
Be sure to completely cool the soup on the counter before adding it to the fridge or freezer. And if you're freezing the tortellini soup with beef, leave some extra space in the container because liquids expand as they freeze.
Pro tip: always label food you're putting in the freezer with the name of the recipe, the date (with the year!) and any short reheating instructions. This is a lifesaver to your future self. Believe me, I know!
Can I Substitute Ravioli for Tortellini?
Yes, you can substitute and use ravioli instead of tortellini for this tortellini soup! I prefer fresh ravioli in this beef tortellini soup. In my grocery store, the fresh pasta is in a case near the cold cuts section.
But you can use frozen ravioli, too! The cooking time (in step 6) might increase though if you use frozen ravioli.
What Goes Well With Tortellini Soup?
I love pairing this Instant Pot Tortellini Soup with a nice, fresh salad or toasted garlic bread!
Spices for Tortellini Soup with Beef
I use salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried basil, and fresh parsley to season this easy tortellini soup.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Tortellini Soup
Step 1: Begin by chopping up the vegetables — the onions, garlic, and carrots.
Step 2: Before searing the beef stew meat in a 6-8 quart Instant Pot, pat it dry with a paper towel to ensure even browning and caramelization. A good sear equals lots of flavor!
Season the beef liberally with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Select Sauté on your Instant Pot and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the meat and cook for 5 minutes or until brown.
You might need to brown the meat in batches to prevent overcrowding the pan. After all the meat is brown, set it aside.
Step 4: Add onions, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for 60 seconds or until fragrant. Add the chopped carrots, and cook for an additional minute.
Add the diced tomatoes, beef broth, and spices next. Stir until combined.
Note: When you add the beef broth, be sure not to go over the maximum fill in your Instant Pot.
Step 5: Add the lid to your Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi. Select Pressure Cook, then High, and cook for 20 minutes. Then allow the pressure to manually release for 10 minutes.
Step 6: Add the cheese tortellini on Sauté and cook for 8-10 minutes. In the last few minutes, stir in the spinach and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 7: Serve hot topped with freshly minced parsley and parmesan cheese!
This recipe for tortellini soup with beef is such a warm and cozy recipe. I have some in the freezer right now…now I'm craving it!
I love love how easy it is to prep and cook in the Instant Pot too!
Instant Pot Beef Tortellini Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 to 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 cups peeled and diced carrots
- 1 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 32-ounce carton of unsalted beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 9-ounce packages cheese tortellini
- 4 ounces fresh baby spinach
- chopped fresh Italian parsley, flat leaf
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Prep vegetables.
- Pat meat dry. Add salt and pepper to both sides of the beef.
- Take a 6 or 8 Quart electric pressure cooker (like an Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi). Select Saute, add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Add half of the beef and cook for 5 minutes until seared and browned.
- Remove the beef and add oil again. Cooking the rest of the beef in the same way. Remove the beef.
- Add onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 60 seconds. Add carrots and cook for another minute. Add beef back into the pressure cooker. Then, add diced tomatoes, beef broth, 3 cups water (making sure that the liquid stays below the max level), 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, dried basil and garlic powder. Stir until ingredients are combined.
- Add pressure cooker lid and position steam valve to seal. Turn lid to lock and select Pressure Cook. Choose high and set timer for 20 minutes.
- Allow pressure cooker to come to pressure (about 15 to 18 minutes). Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to manually release for 10 minutes. Then, turn the steam valve to release. Once that’s finished, remove the lid carefully.
- Select Saute and add the tortellini to the soup and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the last couple of minutes of cooking, add the baby spinach and mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with parsley and Parmesan cheese.
Pin it for Later
Other Tortellini Soup Recipes
Creamy Tortellini Soup from Gimme Some Oven
Tortellini soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach from Yellow Bliss Road
Turkey Meatball Tortellini Soup with Spinach from Skinnytaste
Arlene M says
I could eat this everyday!
this soup looks yummy and warm
Paula S. says
Looks delicious! I don’t have an instant pot. Could this be done on top of the stove, or in a slow cooker?
Julie Deily says
Hi Paula, you totally can make this on the stove or in a slow cooker. You definitely want to add the spinach and the tortellini at the end and it will take longer to make. Hope you like it!
Mayra Morales says
All of these yummy 🤤 plates! Yum and yumm they look so goood
Mary W says
Looks easy to make and delicious tasting. Great photos!
Kathy Conley says
Beatrice P says
Delicious and simple recipe to make.
Marketa Chatten says
This looks so yummy! I asked Santa for Instant Pot for Christmas. If I get one, will definitely be trying this🥰
Susan Ladd says
Looks great for the cold weather we are getting.
vicky molina says
this is loved by my whole family
Sara Marshalek says
This looks delicious! I just got an instant pot.
monique s says
This is one of my favorite soups and with the cold weather so perfect
Liz Kilcher says
this looks awesome
Tonya Tipton says
This Tortellini Soup looks delish and I will be giving it a try. I love trying new recipes in my Instant Pot. This one looks pretty easy to make.
Lisa Carr says
This sounds really good. Do you think the tortellini would survive in a slow cooker? Would you be able to adjust the recipe to make it in a slow cooker? I don’t have an instant pot.
Julie Deily says
I think you can totally make it in the slow cooker. Don’t put the tortellini or the spinach into the slow cooker tho. You can cook the tortellini separately or cook it at the end of cooking it in the slow cooker.
Cindy Quisenberry says
love this! Instapot recipes are so yummy!
Sara Zielinski says
This sounds like an amazing soup.
shannon zeidan says
This sounds amazing. I’m excited to make it.
Janet Tacker says
Gonna try this recipe
Wendy Green says
This looks absolutely delicious. I really need an Instant Pot! 😍
Penny Lynn HERGET says
Love using my insta pot. The above recipes look interesting. love to try.
Karen Bellomy says
looks simple yet elegant
Linda Meranda says
Looking yummy and easy to make
Diane Wolf says
I LOVE TORTELLINI AND GOTTA TRY THIS RECIPE! THANKS!!!
Mya Murphy says
This looks easy enough and super scrumptious.. Saving for later!!