French Toast Casserole & Eggland’s Best #Brinner Giveaway (Closed)
Congratulations to Beverly! I hope you enjoy the prize pack!!!
I always buy Eggland’s Best eggs. I love the way they taste and I love that they are high quality eggs. And I love that I usually can find coupons in my Sunday paper for them.
I recently hosted an Eggland’s Best Brinner party for a few of my friends. What’s a brinner party? It’s a breakfast for dinner party. I know at least one person who was wary of this kind of thing but he ended up enjoying all of the food!
We actually love having breakfast for dinner, we actually plan on doing it tonight! We usually have a main egg dish whether it’s scrambled eggs or omelettes. For this party, I wanted to be a little different so for the main dish, I found this wonderful french toast casserole on Virginia Willis’ website.
I had a waffle making station and a breakfast burrito station. We had bacon, the french toast casserole and these egg casserole type thingies – cups that I made in a muffin tin but they didn’t turn out as good as I had hoped. I made them again recently and completely changed them up and will share them with you soon!
I loved, loved the french toast casserole and it was a hit with everyone who attended. The bourbon creme anglaise was amazing. It’s a simple recipe with milk, egg yolks, sugar, salt and bourbon. You can’t go wrong with those ingredients.
Virginia was so sweet to let me share the recipe for the french toast casserole with you below, it comes from her book: Bon Appetit, Y’all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking. To get the bourbon creme anglaise recipe, hop over to her site.
Yield: Serves 8
French Toast Casserole
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 loaf brioche or challah, sliced
11/2 inches thick (about 11/2 pounds)
8 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Confectioners’ sugar, for accompaniment
Sorghum, cane, or maple syrup, for accompaniment
Bourbon Creme Anglaise, for accompaniment
Combine the melted butter and brown sugar in a baking dish. Arrange the bread slices in the dish. Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a bowl. Pour over the bread, letting it soak in. Top with the pecans. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 12 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Let the chilled casserole stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Bake until browned and set, 30 to 45 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool slightly. Sift over confectioners’ sugar. Serve hot or warm with sorghum, cane, or maple syrup.
Reprinted with permission from Bon Appétit, Y’all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking by Virginia Willis, copyright © 2008. Published by Ten Speed Press.
Win an Eggland’s Best Brinner Prize Pack
One winner will be chosen at random (from all valid entries) to receive an Eggland’s Best Brinner prize pack which includes the following:
2 Free EB Dozen coupons (Any variety- classic, cage-free, or organic)
1 Free EB Hard Cooked and Peeled variety coupon
4 EB ramekins
1 EB apron
1 EB whisk
1 EB spatula
1 EB egg timer
1 EB eco bag
1 EB plush egg
Leave a comment telling me what your breakfast or brinner recipe is. (1 entry)
The mandatory entry must be done otherwise the bonus entries will not count.
- ‘Like’ The Little Kitchen on facebook and leave your first name & last initial in a comment below. (1 entry)
- Subscribe to this blog via email and verify the subscription, the email address you leave in the email field must match the email address you subscribed with. (2 entries)
- Follow The Little Kitchen on twitter and leave your twitter handle. (1 entry)
- ‘Like’ Eggland’s Best on facebook and leave a comment here with your first name & last initial. (1 entry)
- Tweet about this giveaway w/ link and leave a link to your tweet. Use the sample tweet below or the tweet button at the bottom of this post.
Enter for a chance to win an @EgglandsBest Brinner prize pack http://bit.ly/puXgfM via @TheLittleKitchn #Giveaway
(1 entry OR tweeps who follow me on twitter can also tweet TWICE per day for extra entries and must be as least 4 hours apart)
- Click the ‘Like’ button at the bottom of this giveaway post. Comment here with your first name and last initial. (1 entry)
- Follow Eggland’s Best on twitter and leave a comment here with your twitter handle. (1 entry)
- This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only (I’m very sorry to my international readers).
- Leave a separate comment on this post for EACH entry to make all of your entries count. (If you already like on fb or subscribe via email, just leave a comment saying so.)
- At the conclusion of the giveaway, the entry drawn as well as the mandatory entry will be checked and verified. If your entry cannot be verified at that time, it will not count.
- You have until 11:59pm EST on Monday, August 29, 2011 to enter.
One random winner will be chosen via And the Winner is plugin (or random.org if the plugin malfunctions) from all comments submitted in this post. Once the winner is chosen, the winner will be contacted via email and if winner does not respond within 24 hours, winner forfeits prize and another winner will be chosen at random.
Some other notes on entering giveaways on The Little Kitchen:
* How to get the URL of your tweets
Disclosure: I received the same prize pack the winner is receiving as well a gift card to help me with the groceries for the Brinner party. I only share about brands I love and you’ll always get my honest opinions. This post does contain an affiliate link.