This recipe for crockpot chicken and potatoes is really easy to prep and it tastes amazing. It has various spices including dried thyme and rosemary, lots of garlic, lemons, red potatoes, onions and carrots. Once you make this slow cooker chicken and potatoes, you won't want to roast a chicken in the oven again!
This post is sponsored by Perdue Farms.
There are affiliate links in this post. I get commissions for purchases made through these types of links in this post. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You all know by now that my slow cooker is one of my favorite appliances in The Little Kitchen, so it’s no surprise that I have another recipe for you today!
This crockpot chicken and potatoes recipe is incredibly easy and takes no time at all to prep. It’s a no stress, set it and forget it type of meal!
You can simply put some chicken, red potatoes, and some italian seasonings in your crock pot before work and come home to a delicious, ready-to-eat meal! It’s perfect for working parents and busy families.
I love this recipe because the chicken is perfectly tender and juicy + loaded with lots of flavor because of the italian herbs, garlic, and lemon. Slow cooker chicken and potatoes is just so warm and homey and inviting.
I'm a huge fan of Perdue Farms and love working with them! This post is brought to you by Perdue Farms.
I love that their chicken has no antibiotics ever! In 2019, I got to visit family owned farms that work with Perdue Farms…and it was such a great experience! The care and hard work that farmers put into growing chickens, I appreciate them!
Check this out! Buy Perdue Farms whole chickens in a bundle or check out this organic chicken bundle that's 44% off! (The organic bundle ships for free too!)
Perdue Farms' chicken is high quality. It ships right to your door frozen. It's super convenient and free shipping for orders over $159.99!
Can you Cook a Whole Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
Yes, absolutely you can cook a whole chicken in a slow cooker! A 3 to 4.5 pound chicken should fit nicely in a standard size slow cooker/crockpot.
How Long to Slow Cook Chicken and Potatoes?
How long this crockpot italian chicken and potatoes takes to cook completely depends on the temperature setting of the slow cooker. This recipe can take anywhere from 4 to 6 hours on high or 6 to 9 hours on low. It takes a little planning ahead, but it’s so worth it!
How to Make Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes
It’s really simple! Mix together the seasonings, lemon zest, and half the chopped garlic in a bowl — mix to combine.
Place the root vegetables in the slow cooker, top with olive oil, remaining garlic, and toss to combine.
Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel, coat with olive oil, and rub the spice mix all over the chicken — inside, underneath the skin, and on top. Place the quartered lemons inside and place on top of the veggies in the slow cooker.
Cook for 4 to 6 hours. Before serving, place the chicken in a baking dish and broil it for a few minutes to crisp up the skin.
Here’s a step-by-step guide with pictures for more details:
Put all of the seasoning ingredients together in a small bowl and mix together. Set aside.
Prep the garlic.
And the lemon. You'll need to zest and juice one lemon.
Cut the other lemon into quartered wedges.
Prep the veggies.
I actually leave the carrots unpeeled. Then, cut the into thirds and then cut in half or quarters length-wise, depending on how thick they are.
Add the potatoes to the slow cooker.
Then, add the onions and carrots.
Pour lemon juice into the slow cooker. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and half of the minced garlic on top of the vegetables.
Mix that all together.
Wipe the chicken dry with a paper towel. Fold the wings down.
Rub chicken with a 1/2 Tablespoon of olive oil.
Add the seasoning inside and all over the chicken.
Add quartered lemons to the inside of the chicken.
Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
Place the chicken on top of the vegetables inside the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 6 to 9 hours. (Cook until the internal temperature of the leg is at 160 degrees F.)
Remove the chicken using turkey lifters and place in a roasting pan or oven-safe glass dish.
Broil in your oven at 550 degrees F (or the highest your oven broiler will go) for 5 to 10 minutes. (Be careful and watch it to ensure it doesn't burn.)
I can't even count how many times we have made crockpot chicken and potatoes! It's soooo easy to make and I KNOW your family will love it!
Plus, if you have leftovers, you can make some other awesome dinners with it!
What to make with slow cooker chicken and potatoes leftovers
Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes Recipe
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon quartered
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 8 garlic cloves smashed, peeled and minced (divided)
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes (if bigger, halve or quarter them)
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots cut into half lengthwise and then into quarters
- 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds whole roasting or fryer chicken
- Put all of the seasoning ingredients together in a small bowl and mix together. Set aside.
- Prep the lemon, garlic and vegetables. Add the lemon zest and half of the minced garlic cloves to the bowl of seasonings and mix again.
- Add the potatoes, onions and carrots to the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour lemon juice and 1 Tablespoon olive oil on top the vegetables and mix to coat. Add the other half of the minced garlic cloves on top of the vegetables.
- Wipe the chicken dry with a paper towel. Fold the wings down. Separate the skin from the breast and drumsticks with your fingers, but be careful not to rip the skin. Place some of the seasonings under the skin.
- Rub chicken with 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil. Add the seasoning inside and all over the chicken. Add quartered lemons to the inside of the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Place the chicken on top the vegetables inside the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 6 to 9 hours. (Cook until the internal temperature of the leg is at 160 degrees F.)
- Remove the chicken using turkey lifters and place in a roasting pan or oven-safe glass dish. Broil in your oven at 550 degrees F (or the highest your oven broiler will go) for 5 to 10 minutes. (Be careful and watch it to ensure it doesn't burn.)
- Serve the crockpot chicken and potatoes with the other vegetables from the slow cooker.
Other Easy Crockpot Chicken Recipes
- Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Lemon Pepper Chicken in a Slow Cooker
- not chicken but you can also do Crockpot Turkey!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Perdue Farms. I only work with brands that I love and I always share with you my own opinions.