Who likes shrimp and grits? Meee! Let's rewind, when Kraft Foods contacted me to work with them to help promote their Fresh Take line of products, I jumped at the chance. I love the possibilities and the range of flavors that the Fresh Take flavors come in, nine different ones…all fresh and makes getting dinner on the table so easy.
The “Fresh Possibilities” Tour is going all over the country and making over 600 stops at a grocery store near you…so you can try the Kraft Fresh Take products in recipes Kraft has created. Yesterday, they made a stop to a Publix in Orlando, Florida and I stopped by to check it out. To find out when the food truck tour will be near you, check out tryfreshtake.com.
So fun! Here's me with my friend Marsha and her son, Luke. He's so cute, I remember when he was in a stroller…oh man, I think I remember when he was in his Mom's belly!
They sampled an artichoke dip, four cheese meatballs and chicken tenders…my favorite was the artichoke dip! Luke's was the chicken tenders made with smokey mesquite bbq.
So on to the recipe, I wanted to combine the easiness of the Chipotle Cheddar Fresh Take flavor with a favorite of mine, shrimp and grits. The Fresh Take packet has cheese, seasonings and breadcrumbs. I reserved a little for the grits and then placed the shrimp in a shallow dish with a beaten egg. Then they got loaded up with the cheese, seasonings and breadcrumbs. And baked for 15 minutes.
When the shrimp was just about done, I started on the grits. I love yellow corn grits (also used to make polenta). I like to add milk and butter to my grits…makes them creamy and smooth. Some of the chipotle cheddar Fresh Take got added to this too!
Here's a video, an appearance I made on Daytime TV showing how quick and easy it is to put together this recipe!
The verdict? Tastes so good and I love the spicy chipotle with the cheddar cheese in this dish and the overall convenience of it.
Want to try Kraft Fresh Take? I'm giving away samples along with a nice gift card for your grocery shopping, hop on over to enter!
Chipotle Cheddar Shrimp & Grits Recipe
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pkg., 6 oz. FRESH TAKE Spicy Chipotle Cheddar Recipe Cheese Breadcrumb Mix (reserve 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs & 3 Tablespoons cheddar cheese)
- 1 cup uncooked grits
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Place beaten egg in a shallow dish. Reserve the above breadcrumbs and cheddar cheese and mix together the remaining breadcrumbs & cheese in another shallow dish. Dip shrimp in egg and then FRESH TAKE mixture. Throw away any unused cheese mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until shrimp is cooked -- tender and golden brown.
- Bring 1 3/4 cups of water and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Add grits to the pot along with the reserved breadcrumbs and cheese. Stir constantly, for five minutes. Halfway through, add milk and keep stirring. Add butter, remove from heat and cover for two to three minutes. Stir a few times before serving. (Add more water for even creamier grits.)
- Serve grits in bowls topped with shrimp and garnished with parsley. Optional: top with more cheese!
- Notes: Make it a well-rounded meal by serving it with a salad for dinner.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post and I'm excited to be working with Kraft Foods on this campaign. I always share my own, honest opinions and only work with brands that I love.