It's safe to say that I'm obsessed with brown butter. It's more than just melting butter, getting it to the point where it starts browning and not burning it. It has a nutty quality that just takes butter to a new level. And since the cookies last week, I knew I had to keep making desserts with it!
It's been hot right…so hot and I have been turning my oven on way too much. Last year, I visited my sister, Connie, in Boston and we had all of these grand plans to bake and cook and the week before, she called and told me she was scrapping our baking plans because it was too hot. I did not even begin to understand until I arrived. It was sooooo hawt. I swear it was 100 degrees in her apartment and with no central air, there was no way we were baking.
So all of you northeasterners and anyone else who doesn't have central AC…I feel for you. Naomi from Bakers Royale and I are doing a week of no bake desserts…just for you! Be sure to go check out her Neapolitan Ice Box Cake today!
For this dessert, if you don't want to turn the stove on, you can just melt the butter in the microwave.
Brown the butter and then melt the marshmallows. Mix up the rice krispies cereal with 2/3 of the marshmallow mixture and pour into a greased 13×9 pan. Flatten using wax paper or a spatula sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Then, reheat the marshmallows if necessary and mix it up with the fruity pebbles. Add the fruity pebbles to the top of the rice krispies and flatten the same way.
Surprisingly, this dessert is not too too sweet. With the browning of the butter and changing the traditional rice krispy treats to include one of my favorite cereals, fruity pebbles, and of course the white chocolate…it's perfect, seriously. And to show my obsession for this cereal may go a little too far, I even created a pinterest board for all treats pertaining to it.
Brown Butter Fruity Pebble Rice Krispy Treats
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, browned
- 5 cups miniature marshmallows
- 4 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 cups Post Fruity Pebbles cereal
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips, Hershey's
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Prepare a 13x9 baking dish by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray or baking spray.
- Add butter to a saucepan and heat at medium. Don't let it burn. Continually stir with a wooden spoon and remove from heat when butter particles start to brown, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add marshmallows to the brown butter and consistently stir until melted all the way.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix up the rice krispies cereal with 2/3 of the marshmallow mixture and pour into the baking dish. Flatten using wax paper or a spatula sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Then, reheat the marshmallows if necessary and mix it up with the fruity pebbles. Add the fruity pebbles to the top of the rice krispies and flatten the same way.
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave in 15 second increments. When mostly melted, add oil and mix well. Transfer white chocolate to a decorator bag and snip the end, drizzle over krispy treats and serve.
- Chocolate tip: use milk chocolate for a completely different taste. If using candy melts, you may need to use less vegetable oil than noted here.
Other Fruity Pebble Delights:
Fruity Pebble Fudge