I'm a huge creature of habit so there's a sequence of events that happen in my kitchen. When I make the whole chicken in a slow cooker recipe, I use the leftover chicken within a week to make chicken pot pies and then the leftover pie dough to make these wonderfully simple blueberry hand pies. You can't get any simpler than this and I love that I'm not wasting anything!
I love having them as a dessert or even for a breakfast snack.
You can make these without using leftover pie dough but when using a full box of pie dough, use 1 1/2 cups of blueberries (fresh or frozen) with 2 Tbsp of sugar for your filling. Also, I found that if you aren't using re-rolled pie dough, I would roll out the fresh dough out a few times before using it to make your hand pies, otherwise the pies will be translucent.
On the left, is what the dough looks like after I cut out the chicken pot pie crusts. I cut out a 4-5 inch square. Fill them with the blueberry mixture. Be sure to prick holes on top before doing an egg wash and topping with sugar.
I love when the blueberries burst and leak out a little. Looks yummy. I don't think these need to look the least bit perfect. Sometimes I will put some egg on the dough before sealing, sometimes I don't. Competely up to you.
Serve them a few minutes out of the oven or the next morning for breakfast. They taste great either way. I store them in zippered plastic bags and they are good for a couple of days.
(Quick) Blueberry Hand Pies
- Leftover pie dough or 1 pie crust package, 2 pie crusts
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (or 1 1/2 cup blueberries if using 2 whole pie crusts)
- 1 Tbsp sugar, or 2 Tbsp sugar, more sugar to top the pies
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with foil on it, be sure to spray the foil with baking spray.
- Mix blueberries together with sugar (look at measurement in the ingredient listing) in a small or medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Whether the pie dough is leftover or packaged pie crust, mold the dough into a square shape and roll out to about 1/8 inch think.
- Cut into 4 or 5 inch squares. Add a little bit of the blueberry sugar mixture into the middle of the squares. Be careful not to overfill them!
- If you choose, add egg wash to the edges of two adjacent sides. Then, take one corner and fold over to meet the other corner, creating a triangle. Using the tines of a fork, push down on the edges to create a crease. Using the fork, prick holes on top of the hand pie, twice. Brush an egg wash over it and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Reroll leftover dough from cutting and/or 2nd pie crust until you have used up your dough and blueberries and repeat the above steps for each pie.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.