I was so excited when Kitchen PLAY contacted me to participate in their Progressive Party series sponsored by The Cherry Marketing Institute. Hope you enjoy these easy and tasty appetizers! Also, read until the end to find out some information about a contest you can enter.
Did you know that February is National Cherry Month? What better way to celebrate than a Progressive Party from Kitchen PLAY? I love working with Casey and was so excited when she contacted me about this great opportunity.
Tart cherries are considered a super fruit and it's great that they are available throughout the year in dried form, frozen or as a juice. For my part with the appetizer, I was given the task to develop a recipe with the dried form of tart cherries.
I'm not sure why, I just immediately thought of pairing it with brie cheese. First, I made sure it would taste good together and it definitely does! You can put a couple of slices of brie and dried tart cherries on a cracker and it would a perfect snack or appetizer.
So then I thought, what about little mini pockets…but these aren't the sweet kind…they are savory!
I used a prep bowl (see top left corner) to cut out pieces of the pie dough. Added a couple of small slices of brie and a little bit of the dried tart cherries. I folded over the pie dough and pinched it shut.
After 10-12 minutes in the oven, you get this goodness…it doesn't have to look perfect. And I have to say, these mini pockets taste best right out the oven (let them cool for a couple of minutes, of course!).
The flakiness of the mini pocket and the creamy brie paired with the tart cherries, makes a great combination!
I hope you'll give these or one of the other recipes over at KitchenPLAY a try. (I can't wait to make a cocktail with the tart cherry juice and sprinkle the dried tart cherries over a salad!)
Tart Cherry Mini Pockets with Brie
- 1 box of store bought pie dough, I used Pillsbury (comes with 2 pie shells)
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- approximately 1/2 lb brie wedge, I used closer to 0.4 lb
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Allow the pie dough to sit out for at least 15 minutes before unrolling it. Unroll and using a rolling pin, roll it out a little bit thinner (to about an 1/8 inch). Using a circle cutter or cup, cut out 3 1/2 inch circles.
- Add a small slice or two of brie cheese and a few dried tart cherries. Don't over fill. Fold over and pinch closed. Repeat until baking sheet is full, about 9 or 10 mini pockets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese is bubbly and the mini pockets are golden brown.
The Cherry Marketing Institute is also sponsoring a delicious giveaway at Kitchen PLAY. Simply recreate one or more recipes from this month’s Progressive Party, post about the experience on your blog and provide a link to your post on Kitchen PLAY to enter. All qualifying bloggers in each course will be entered to win the following prize pack shipped directly to each winner (valued at $100).
- A recipe rock
- Sur La Table red measuring cup set
- Sur La Table red mixing bowls, set of three
- Yaritza apron
- 1 lb bag of dried tart cherries
- 1 bottle of tart cherry juice
- branded cherries tote
No purchase necessary to enter. Void where prohibited. Open to US residents only. The deadline is February 29, 2012. Please review the complete contest rules before entering. Good luck!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post, I was compensated for my participation in the Progressive Party Series over at KitchenPLAY. My opinions are always my own!